Friday, January 1, 2021

Look back 2020 (Personal reflection)


It has been my routine to write some resolutions at the beginning of every year and then look back and evaluate at the end of the next year.

My goal by end-Dec 2020: (written on Jan 2, 2020)

1. Save $1 million (✖)

Due to social movement and covid-19, my income dropped drastically.
The instalment of the current flat cost $370,000. Other related fees also ate up my capital. 😐
Yet after learning a bit more about investment, I believe things will get better in 2021.

2. Purchase another flat (✔)

The flat is tiny but close to my tutorial centre and MTR station. Lots of eateries nearby. And dogs are allowed. I love this place. 😍💓

3. Read 30 books about investment (✖)

Just read 5 investment books so far. Instead, I've read different blogs and watched loads of YouTube videos related to investment. Besides, I've attended some courses about investment. 
My groupmates have also taught me loads of investment strategies and mindsets. I've genuinely learnt more from them than from books and course instructors.😄

4. Finish reading 100 books (any genre) (✖)
Haven't read much. 😅 Finished reading  7 books only.

5. Attain Grade 3 piano (started from a beginner) (✖)

Stuck with Book 3 Everybody likes the Piano and The Second Grade of John Thompson's. Guess I'm now at Grade 2 only. But my piano teacher is very strict and has required me to practise the same song for 3 consecutive weeks already. Not much progress.😕

6. Exercise 30 minutes 4 days a week (✖)

At the beginning of 2020, I exercises daily for over an hour. But then, I got lazier and lost interest in exercising. Now I only go hiking with Muimui and Rebecca on Fridays. Guess I have to stick to this and make it a routine for a better body shape. 💪

7. Hiking with Muimui (36 times) (✔)

Going hiking with her more than 60 times this year. Muimui has been walking pretty slowly but her smiles are so sweet whenever we go hiking. Seeing her smile injects me with more energy keeping pace with her. It's great that Rebecca and Cheong also love dogs and don't mind having Muimui as our hiking companion. 
Muimui is now 15 years old but no matter how tough the routes are, she is still determined to complete the journey by herself. Even if I offer her a free ride, she simply struggles to jump down from my chest and smiles to show she is competent to keep walking. She is so adorable. I hope she can keep hiking with me for at least 4 more years.💓💓🐶

8. Finish running 600K (✖)

Oh well, I'd better give up and try out another sport.😒

9. Have 150 students (✖)

Only have 55 students now. Less than half compared with Jan 2020. Definitely there is so much work I can do about this. So let's start bit by bit and see if a slight change every day can make a big difference at the end of 2021.😛

10. Have a trip in Europe (✖)

All flights are cancelled. Travelling is prohibited. We've only travelled in Japan and did some hiking this year. 😞

11. Get a baby  (✖)

Have been seeing dr, taking medicines but just ...... Dunno. Maybe God has his only plan. I'd better wait and fine tune my health first. Haven't fallen sick at all this year but dr kept saying I'm not fit enough to carry a baby. Frustrated and confused.😟


Overall speaking, 2020 has been a bad year for the majority with no doubt. Meeting friends and relatives has been a taboo and many friends and students of mine have moved or gonna move overseas, leaving HK and their beloved ones (including pets) behind.
The bright side, however, is that the worst has taken place, so the better (even may not be the best) must be coming along. Stock market has been thriving in 2020, lots of IPOs have been thrown to the market and well accepted by the investors owing to the quanitative easing (QE) of governments worldwide. Stock prices are at all time high but nobody knows whether the market will stay that positive with countless optimistic investors in 2021.

6 comments:

  1. Year 2020 is over. I really apprecipate your positive and studious attitude. You are an active and eager teacher! Looking back on the past goals, it is a good opportunity for self-reflection and learning. The best is yet to come, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so modest and supportive. Feel so lucky to have you as my friend.

      Delete
  2. Personally, I always like to set a high target at the beginning of each year. Obviously some targets will be missed. But for me I am fine with it. Life is never perfect. I would be happy if one or even two targets are achieved. :)

    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Argh...
      I've missed most of my targets though {blushed}
      Thanks for your encouragement

      Delete
  3. Wish you to have a fruitful 2021.
    Let's stay healthy! Stay positive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too ^_^
      Happy new year Ray
      Wish you health and happiness

      Delete